How long it takes to renovate a HDB/Condominium doesn’t depend on your contractor. Shocking, we know. In fact, the total duration of a renovation project is dictated by homeowners. Actual renovation works for HDB/Condominiums only take 2 months. However, many HDB and condominium homeowners in Singapore prolong the process.
Breaking Down How Long it Takes to Renovate
There’s a certain flow to follow during a renovation. Here’s a shortcut inforgaphic of a renovation process in Singapore.
However, take note that the timeline is just an estimate. Juz Interior’s Natasha Koh says, “Every homeowner’s requirement is different. For example, if a homeowner does not require carpentry services, then we can save 2 weeks of renovation. Or if a homeowner has given us a tight timeline to work with, perhpas they urgently need to move into their new home, then we’ll have to speed up the process.”
Furthermore, Singapore’s Housing Development Board (HDB) grants a one month renovation permit, and allows for an extension of 1 month. Of which only three days are allocated for noisy renovation works like hacking of tiles.
As contractors, we do our utmost best to stick to the timeline. But things don’t always go as planned sometimes.
Why Most Renovations Last 3 Months or More
Although HDB and Condominiums renovations are last 2 months, the average Singaporean homeowner takes 3 months. The additional month, or even more, is actually just deadtime spent by the homeowner making decisions.
Symptoms of chronic renovation analysis paralysis are:
- Flitting between interior designs (“Or should we consider the contractor route?”)
- Staking out for the best interior design proposal
- Haggling quotations
- Deliberating the choice of materials
Over the years, our interior design firm has seen homeowners who really drag out the decision making process. From couples who can’t agree on a design or material, or clients who have new flashes of inspiration for their home midway through the renovation. More often than not, we’ve had to put a stop to the entire renovation because owners cannot decide on the material or design of their cabinetry. Sometimes, designs evolve because homeowners have to make budget cuts. Consequently, these cause delays in the renovation.
Granted, renovations for most homeowners in Singapore are usually a once or twice in a lifetime kind of project. Poring through every single facet of your new home is nothing to belittle. Moreover, the cost of renovation is no small penny to pay. You want to get it right the first time.
To relieve yourself of the renovation analysis paralysis, consider the following tips.
Sticking to a Renovation Plan
- Three months before you collect your keys, begin sorting through ideas you may have for your home. Arrange inspiration photos on a Pinterest moodboard which you can discuss with your interior designer.
- Discuss with your family how much you are willing to set aside for the renovation.
- Shortlist interior designers you might want to work with in this prepatory time. Get recommendations from friends and family. If you find a contractor or interior designer you like, be sure to check reviews. Secondly, all interior designers and contractors should have the proper licenses to operate. For example, Juz Interior has a HDB contractor’s license, a BCA builder’s license, CaseTrust accreditation and oblige by occupational health and safety standards for our workers. You should be able to trust the designers with your project and money.
- Ask shortlisted interior designers for quotes and a couple of proposed views for the house. Compare quotes and design. Find one that best fits your requirements and budget. (Pro-tip: Try our virtual reality home tour to get the best visualisation experience!)
As you can see, how long it takes to renovate depends heavily on confidence in your decisions. As interior designers, we try our best to provide suggestions to help you. So hear us out, and take a leap of faith. And if you need to talk to an experienced interior designer, feel free to reach out to us at Juz Interior. Hopefully, with these tips, you’ll have a smooth renovation.